Wednesday, July 10, 2013

I made some eyelids today

Life, like a quick, choppy laugh. They don't let you know who's laugh it is, though. It's not in it's place here.
I sometimes have been downcasted, patheticized, all around unhappish. You know, like that.
I seriously hope that my cat doesn't snore again tonight.

McClain gave me a clipboard. He was asking me?
“Well- You’ve heard the man! Go in this one- Feel the door first- it looks alright, no glowing tiles underneath.” I pushed the door open, leading the twelve others inside.
“Okay. So, the clipboard he gave me. Here we have- Bennett, June- June Bennett”
“I’m here.” Bennett nodded. I had met her before, had a conversation about the possible need for an extraterrestrial paleontologist. I pretended to dismiss it as pure speculation, but in reality, we’d need far more than that.
“Harishchandra Bha- Hari?” I laughed, and he raised his hand.
“Here.”
“Lawrence Castro?”
“Present.” Castro had been quiet for most of the time, but I’d heard he had a nice collection of records.
“And Clinton is out there- Quinn Davies?”
“Right here.”
This went on for a while, calling all 16 names, only 12 of them replied. Good, because I’d be worried if someone replied to mine.
“Right. Think we’ve taken care of that.” Holtzmann came in, letting us out.
“How? I mean- How did it know you put out the fire?” Darell asked.
“Someone’s been manning the controlls, must of figured this was accurate.” Holtzmann opened the door, revealing the puddles of foam on the floor.
“I’d call that a nice lapse in judgement on their part.” Glaskowsky laughed, nudging a bit of the fire extinguisher foam on the tile with his shoe.
“Well, this is only practice for the intencive training, so they didn’t really spend much on simulators...” McKinney said, trying in vain to wipe off some foam on his sleeve.
“I’ll ask them for a new shirt. Anything else anyone needs- I need to fill out the report form by the end of the day. And send in your individual reports.” Bennett said, holding a clipboard.
“Now why are they giving us a taste of the intencive training so early?” I asked.
“It’s the budget- They need to weed some of us out already. Plus, it’s nice to have a break from the classrooms. We’ve gotten more than a semester in learning.” Darell said, stepping carefully to avoid the foam. “I’m just wondering what one of us has to clean this up.”
“I’ll do it.” Clinton had a mop in his hand, pushing the foam around as if he had hardly any idea what he was doing.
“Great. Now, the rest of us can go down this halway, to the viewing room. They have some educational films that the professors recorded- You are advised to take notes.” McKinney said, while Darell groaned.
“You can’t sit still either, huh?” I asked, and she shrugged.
“It’s not all that- Well, that’s part of it. I don’t really dig taking all the notes, though.”
“Well, what makes it more interesting, is if you make it into some sort of comic strip, see- I’ll have to show you. With a little practice, you can have books of them.”
“I’ll have to try that.” She laughed, “Then it’ll be time for dinner, I’m guessing.”

“Fair enough. I am getting hungry.”

No comments:

Post a Comment