Tuesday, May 7, 2013

I thought the penny said 1895. But it didn't.

I was bored, needed to write something, so this exploded out of my brain and slowly flowed out. I have mixed feelings about it, but here you go XD


I never intended to write about you, Roger.
I never did.

Roger took a deep breath. He strolled to the corner of the room, the room was spinning around him. Did it go well? He felt like he was about to vomit. All over the clothing so carefully fitted just expecially for him. He’d preformed before- But this was the first time with such a croud- the first of this show- And the first time in a long time that he was a man.
“Roger, Roger, calm down!” Charlotte laughed softly, sympathetically, and attempted to wrap her arms him. He was shaking.
“I don’t know why I’m so nervous- Isn’t that supposed to be before the show?” But this time it was after. It was different now, like it always would be. He was different now. He would walk out there, people would stare. Someone would judge him, maybe unconciously, but they would just the same. He would walk out there with the others, Charlotte, Lucy, Maurine- They’d stand together, like always, some boys would come to congratulate them, pin a rose on their dress and take them out for a milkshake. But there would be no one to pin a rose on him. It was silly, yes, but it counted for something when you were lonely.
“Well, you’ve better be getting out there- People probably want to talk to the man behind the leading role, don’t you think?”
“Yes... But whatever they say- They can’t recruit me out of this place. If they want to pay money to see me as some world famous popinjay- Well, they might as well do it here.”
“Good, wouldn’t want to lose you, loverboy.” She slapped him on the back, and walked into the dressing room.
“Yes, won’t get rid of me that easilly, darling.” He laughed, preparing to greet the eager members of the audience. They needed to get more donations to keep the theater running, so good impressions were ideal. “Roger Davies, Danseur Noble... You’re stage makeup is smudging. Or going to smudge. Sam, do you think my makeup is smudging?”
“Just stop babbling on to yourself and you’ll be fine, and try not to use the term smudging.” His colegue laughed, “You’ve really ought to get yourself a gir- Well, something to focus on.”
“I’ve already got a cat at home... Expecting kittens in about two weeks, probably can’t take care of them all by my self... know anybody in need of some cats?” He asked, attempting to make his hair stay in place.
“Sorry. You know Jennie’s alergic to cats- Wouldn’t want to cause any trouble, you know. Only been engaged for about six weeks.”
“Yes, yes, I understand... You think Charlotte wants a kitten?”
“How would I know? You know the girl more than me, probably more than that guy she was going out with.”
“Frank. Yes, got to give him a piece of my mind, but first- My, it’s late- I’ve got to get going...” He walked swiftly out into the lobby into the crowd of people. A couple reporters tried to ask him questions, managers, patrons and all kinds of the cultured, knowlageable and rich were crouded around everybody.
“Mr. Davies, have you considered our offer to join-”
“Sorry, no, I’m staying here. And that goes for all of you who are trying to hire me away.” He managed to excape and found his fellow dancers.
“Roger, were you alright up there? Once you got of stage-”
“Ah just a bit nervous. Fine now. You know how I get. Does my makeup look... Smudged to you?”
“No, it looks fine. I saw Ms. Baubineux- She seemed pleased with the preformance...” Charlotte trailed off, giving Roger a smile.
“Pleased? How so?” Ms. Baubineux was one of their oldest and wealthiest patrons, without her they probably wouldn’t be preforming that night.
“The kind of pleased that keeps us in buisness...”
“And gets us good reviews, with the good donations that follow? Maybe some good sold out shows?” He asked, grinning.
“Exactly. But don’t pretend you care about the money- There’s something else, isn’t there?”
“You know that we’re in danger of closing. Even though anybody would be eager to hire me, I’m not sure I could ever leave this place.” He looked around, and caught a few familiar faces in the corner of his eye. “Well, I’ve better get going...”
“Hey, isn’t that Lucy’s boyfriend? And that must be his brother she tried to hook me up with... Why, he’s cute, isn’t he?”
“Is he the one with the roses or the chrysanthemums?”
“They’re both cute, arn’t they? Roger- Where are you going?” she grabbed his arm as he tried to slip away.
“I’m going to talk with Ms. Baubineux- See what she has to say.”
“Okay, make sure you ask her about act II, the transition...”
“Will do.” He made his way through the crowd again, greeting some people, even signed a couple autographs.
“That was a fantastic preformance if I’ve ever seen one, Mr. Davies.”
“Ms. Baubineux- You liked it?”
“Liked it- In all my years, I’ve seen very few dancers that come close to your gracefulness, Mr. Davies.” Her compliments were as good as any sort of accomplishment- he knew they were hard to come by. He exhaled slowly in relief.
“However, you’re speed has something to be desired, at times.” Inhaled again. “But nothing you can’t work out over time...”
“Thank you, Madam.” He bowed and proceded to walk away.
“Wait- Are you in a rush?”
“No, Madam. Not at all.”
“I’d like you to meet my nephew. Thomas.” A young man stepped forward, had a thin mustache and a top hat that seemed to tower above his own head. He shyly smiled and extended his hand.
“Pleased to meet you, Thomas.” Roger smiled, shaking his hand.
"The pleasure is mine, sir.”
“The boy’s quite a fan of your work, couldn’t take his eyes off of you.” He blushed at his aunt’s comment, with an awkward smirk.
“I really like you’re portrayal of _, used to read the story as a child... Just how I’d imagined him too. And you could just see the emotion in it... ”
“That has to be the most flattering review I’ve heard in a long time, people never really comment on the character... I like that.”
“Anyways. I’m really introducing him to you so you can show him around.”
“Oh?”
“He studies

No comments:

Post a Comment