Sunday, September 22, 2013

"Do you mind not standing on my chest, my hat's on fire."

My cat has formed a habit of sleeping on my back. The problem is, she's a very chunky cat.
And this is my 1111th post on this blog.

“Right. Just walk up those steps.” Lewis said, gawking at the tall doors he was supposed to enter through. “Must be about fifty rooms in there… Just walk up those steps, and ring the bell.” He walked up, briskly, not sure at all why he was there. I just met the man twice, and now am being requested for some sort of meeting, or greeting, or- What was he even going to do when I walk through those doors?
“Must be a millionaire, at least. God knows I need some money.” He rung the bell, hearing it echo in the large room behind the doors. “Probably has his own silver screen. And an orchestra to go along with it.” He said to himself, watching a vague figure approach from behind the frosted windows on the door.
“Hello, you must be Mr. Williams.”
“That’s me.” Lewis nodded, “Pleasure to meet you, sir.”
“I am Master Labelle’s butler. He will be down shortly, take a seat.” The butler, a tall, distinguished looking fellow, showed Lewis to a sofa. He looked around the large empty entry way, the room looking far taller than his house. There was a plate of small sandwiches on a table next to it. He took one, chewing it carefully. Cucumber sandwiches. How posh.
He waited in the seat, hands folded in his lap. When Lewis had first met the man he thought nothing of it, but now sitting in his domain filled him with a feeling of nervousness, maybe even dred. I hope I haven't done anything to offend him, he thought, that could be real trouble.
His heartbeat seemed to echo in the empty space, mind too foucused to wander. He looked at his pocket watch, an old thing that had been in the family for a few generations, from when they had money in their pockets, in the bank, and in the stuffing of their matresses. It had been fifteen minuets. Nearly sixteen. Suddenly, he heard quick, light footstepps decend from the staircases.
“Lewis, I see you have made it. It’s a pleasure to have you as company.” He smiled, as he reached the bottom of the stairs. He was even shorter than Lewis had remembered, with a youthful, girlish face. A girlish figure too, hardly big enough for his trousers. His hair looked to have been spent exessive amounts of time on, an orangy blonde that you don’t see very often. He clapped his hands together, heart beating quickly. He was wearing his best waistcoat. “Don’t feel as if you have to be shy, we’ve met before. I’ll take this into the other room, come along.” He picked up the plate of sandwiches, carrying it to the next room, setting it on a coffee table. Lewis looked at the rich man’s face, made up like an actress. He could've sworn he had seen that face in a magazine of pinups.
He sat down, this sofa larger and more lavish than the first.
“It’s nice to see you again, Lewis. Was it hard to find the place?”
“No sir- Well, it is in a hidden part of town, but once I got here it was fine.”
“You can call me Danny. Now, would you like a drink? I could get my butler to fetch you something. Anything at all.”
“No, no, I’m fine.” Lewis sat there, with the start of  a smile. His host had one of those open, honest faces. And why was he invited here? Out of all the people in the world, Lewis Williams was in a mansion eating cucumber sandwiches, with the crust cut off. Offered this generosity, and he had no idea why.
“Do you have many visitors, Mr. LaBelle- Danny?” He looked around yet again. The room didn’t make sence, should of been filled with at least twenty aristocrats.
“It depends on what you call many… I had an investor who practically invited himself over a couple of weeks ago, and a distant cousin weeks before that, but I think he was just looking for money. I gave it to him anyways, shame he had to come all this way.” He gracefully took a cucumber sandwich, taking a bite. “Other than that, it’s usually just Burton, my butler, and I. And the cook, and the maids… And whoever else wants a job. I usually don’t go out much, exept for photoshoots and the ocasional weekend trips… And the ocasional get away for a couple hours, to see the city. That’s when I’ve met you those times.”
“Pardon me asking, but why am I here?”
“Well… I… I couldn’t put a label on it to tell you the truth. I just thought you’d like to see the place, that’s all.” he took out a napkin, dabbing at his lips. “And it was nice to talk to you. You don’t mind, do you?”
“No, not at all. I was just wondering- Hasn’t happened to me before.” Louis took another cucumber sandwich.
“Do you want a meal of some sort? I can get my cook to make you something, if you want.”
“Well, I wouldn’t mind that. Tell him to surprise me.”
“I will. I’ll be right back.” He walked off, a spring in his step. The butler came around the corner, standing at the door.
“Oh-Burton, isn’t it?”
“Yes sir. Do you need anything sir?”
“No-

No comments:

Post a Comment